Love posting on Snapchat but have something a bit private? We have good news for you. Snapchat lets you post private stories! It’s fairly easy to do and helps you keep your personal updates private for days when you want to share something with only a select group of people.
Curious about how it works? We’ll break it down for you. Here’s how to post a private story on Snapchat.
What is a private story on Snapchat?
You can think of private Snapchat stories as personal updates. When you post a private story on Snapchat, you can share it with a single person or with a small group of people. This feature can be helpful if you want to share specific, “niche” memes with someone or when you want to post something that you wouldn’t want certain people, like colleagues or family, to see.
What is the difference between a private story and a custom story on Snapchat?
People often confuse private Snapchat stories with custom stories since they’re quite similar. Both are private, meaning not everyone can view your story. Only people you add to the group can see it, while others will never know you uploaded anything at all.
The only difference between a private story and a custom story is the latter allows your selected group members to contribute to your story. Only you can post, edit and lock content when you post a private story on Snapchat, but anyone in your chosen group can add custom stories.
How to make a private story on Snapchat
Posting a private story on Snapchat is quite easy. Here are the simple steps to follow:
How to add a private story from Story
- Click a photo or record a video with the Snapchat app.
- Click on the “Send To” icon at the bottom right corner.
- Select “Private Story” from the “Send To” page.
- Select the people you want to share this private Snapchat story with. You can select a single person or a group of people. The people you select will get a blue check mark next to their username.
- Once you’re done selecting the people you want to share this private story with, click on the “Create Story” button.
- You will be asked to Rename the story. Enter the name of your choice or go with the generic title offered by Snapchat.
- Your private story will now be published, and only the people you selected in the previous step will be able to view it.
How to add a private story from your profile
You can also add a private Snapchat story directly from your profile. Here’s how.
- Open your Snapchat profile and click on the “Private Story” option.
- Select the people you want to share your story with and click on the “Create Story” button.
- Rename your story or go with the existing title.
- Your private story will be published, and only the selected people can view it.
How to add more people to a private story?
Missed adding someone to your private story on Snapchat? Worry not! You can always add more people to your private story later. Here’s how.
- Open your Snapchat profile.
- Scroll down to your Private Story.
- Tap the three horizontal dots beside it.
- Click on “Edit Viewers” in the pop-up menu.
- Select new people to make this story visible to them and click the “Save” button.
- Now the new users you selected will also be able to view your private Snapchat story. You can keep adding users whenever you change your mind.
Snapchat does not notify other users about your private story, so you don’t have to worry about making anyone feel excluded.