Whether you’re actively making plans to hang out with your friends or just want to check what they’re up to without needing to text them, Apple’s Find My feature can help. Now the app also includes a “Live” feature that lets you track your friends and family’s location in real time.
If you want to learn more about the feature and how it works, here’s a detailed guide to understanding what “Live” means on Find My Friends.
What does ‘Live’ mean on Find My app?
“Live” is a new feature on the Find My app that lets you monitor the location of your friends and family members using iOS devices. The location updates in real-time so you can see the user’s speed, direction, and even the stops they make during their travel.
This is useful for knowing your friend’s location, but many families also use it to track elders and kids who like to roam around in the neighborhood.
Here’s what it looks like:
Images courtesy of Apple
How to enable live location on Find My app
Enabling live location on the Find My app is fairly easy.
- Open your phone’s settings and go to Privacy > Location Services. Turn the toggle on.
- Now you have to activate Find My with your Apple ID. For this, go to Settings and tap your name at the top.
- Scroll down and select the “Find My” option.
- Look for the “Find My iPhone” option and toggle it on.
- Before the app is fully activated, you need to grant it access to location, so go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services.
- Scroll down to ‘Find My” and click on the app name to open the settings menu.
- Here, you can enable location access for the Find My app. Select “While Using This App.” We also recommend turning on the Precise Location toggle for best results.
- Now go to the Find My app on your iPhone. Tap the “Me” option at the bottom.
- Turn on the “Share My Location” toggle. Also, make sure you have the “Use This iPhone as My Location” option selected. This will let your friends see where you are.
- Choose how long you want your location to be visible. You can choose between three options: One Hour, Until End of Day or Share Indefinitely. This will turn your location sharing off after the time you selected has passed.
Share your location with selected people
You can also share your location with specific people directly. Here’s how it works:
- In your Find My app, select the People tab on the left. Then, click on the plus sign at the top right corner.
- Select the “Share My Location” option and choose the users you want to share your location with.
This will enable your live location and let the friends you choose see where you are in real-time.
How to find people with Live on Find My app
Finding people with the live feature on the Find My app is straightforward. Just follow the steps below.
- Open your Find My app and the People tab on the left.
- Look for the name of the person you want to find.
- Tap the person’s name to see their current location, address and even where they’re going next. But this only works if they have enabled location sharing on their device.
- If a person hasn’t enabled location sharing on their iOS device, you can request their location by tapping their name in the People tab and selecting the “Ask To Follow Location” option. This will send them a request to share their location with you, and they may choose to accept or deny location sharing.
How to deactivate friend requests on the Find My app
By default, people can send you friend requests on the Find My app, but fortunately, you have the option to deactivate friend requests if you want to keep your location-sharing circle private. Here’s how it works.
- Open the Find My app and go to the Me tab at the bottom right corner.
- Scroll down to see the “Allow Friend Requests” option. Turn the toggle off if you’d rather not receive any friend requests. Once this option is turned off, you will no longer receive any friend requests until you choose to turn the toggle on again.
Other tips for using Find My
If you change your mind and want to stop sharing your live location, head to the Me tab on the Find My app. Look for the “Share My Location” option and turn the toggle off. Once this is off, your location will be hidden from everyone until you turn the toggle on again.
You can also track lost devices using the Find My app. Open the app and go to the Devices tab. You will see a list of the connected devices. Select the one you want to find, and you will see its exact location. If it’s something like an iPhone, you can also make it ring, so it’s easier to find.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between ‘Live’ and ‘Now’ on Find My iPhone?
The “Live” feature on the Find My app gives you a location in real-time, while the “Now” option gives you a static location of where the person is right now. The Live feature is useful for tracking people as they move, while the Now feature can help when you just want to know where someone is at the moment.
What does ‘no location found’ mean on Find My app?
Sometimes when you’re trying to track your friend, you may get the ‘no location found’ message. This may mean the user’s phone has location sharing disabled or their device is out of service range. If they have turned their location off, you can request location sharing by sending them a request through the Find My app but if they are out of the service region, you may have to wait until they are trackable again.
Can you turn live location off?
It’s possible to turn live location off by going to the Me tab on the Find My app and turning off the location sharing toggle. This will ensure your location remains hidden until you turn the toggle back on again.