TinderⓇ is a great dating app with lots of features, but it does have one limitation: It only allows you to select matches from the area where you launched the account, using location services on your smartphone. But what if you want to meet people from other geographic locations or find matches while you travel? Can you change your location on Tinder without actually being somewhere else? The answer is yes but you’ll have to join Tinder Passport to get it done. Read on to learn how to change location on Tinder.
How to change your location on TinderⓇ
Once you’re a Passport member, you can change location as often as you would like, but there are some caveats:
- Tinder Passport isn’t free. It starts at $17.99 for one month with required auto-renewal. Other longer-term options are also available with lower rates. You can cancel at any time but any chosen locations will disappear along with Passport.
- No one at your actual physical location will be able to see your profile while you are virtually located elsewhere.
- Once you change back to your physical location, matches you’ve liked still might be able to see your profile for up to 24 hours, even after you’re no longer using their location.
- Changing location gives you an instant new user boost so that additional people will see your profile.
Because Tinder shows distance to matches, others will be able to see how far away you currently are. Even if you use the “don’t show my distance” option, that can dissuade others from matching since they can’t tell how far away you are.
Despite the fee and potential drawbacks, travelers and adventurers might find the Passport feature quite useful. After all, meeting new people is the whole point of Tinder—why limit yourself to a specific location if you don’t need to?
If you decide to go for it, join Tinder Passport and then follow these steps for Android or iOS to change your location. If you don’t join first, you’ll be given the option to do so as you attempt the location change process.
- In your profile, tap “Settings.”
- In Settings, scroll to Discovery Settings. Tap “Location.” (You might also see it titled My Current Location.)
- Tap “Add New Location.”
- Note: If you don’t have Passport, you’ll be prompted to sign up for it here. If you’re already set up, tap the Search bar and enter the desired city.
- When the desired city appears below the search bar, tap it.
- Your screen will display the requested city on a map. Tap it to instantly change your location.
- You’ll automatically be taken back to Discovery Settings, where you’ll see the new location marked in blue with an airplane icon and a checkmark.