Utah Property Records

Disclaimer: The below is solely intended for informational purposes and in no way constitutes legal advice or specific recommendations.

The population of Utah—known as the Beehive State—was 2,763,885 individuals as of the 2010 US Census. For the purpose of determining average household size, the Census divides both the population and the types of housing available into two groups each. As such, Utah’s population is separated into households (98.3% of people, or 2,717,733 individuals), which include families and other types of living arrangements. The remaining 1.7% of people (46,152 individuals) live in group quarters, a category that includes the institutionalized population among other groups. Housing units are classified as either occupied or vacant. Of the total 979,709 units, 89.6% (877,692) are occupied and 10.4% (102,017) are vacant. Occupied units are lived in by either their owners or renters. In owner-occupied units, 1,986,688 people live in 618,137 owner-occupied units, leading to an average household size of 3.2 people, which is slightly higher than the national average. Renter-occupied units amount to 259,555 housing 731,045 individuals. For this category, the average household size of renter-occupied units in Utah is 2.82 people. The website Utahcounty.gov is the place to go for Utah property records of all types; it’s a comprehensive database of public records in Utah, broken out by county, and includes things like maps, tax data and appraisal information.

Property Owner Search

Enter an address to begin your search:

Our property owner lookup tool searches through billions of property records and dozens of databases

Utah Tax Collector & Appraiser Records by County

Property Records in UT

Utah is one of very few states that provides a centralized portal for accessing state public records. It offers a portal for making public records requests from various state agencies, including cities and towns, counties, state agencies, schools, transit districts, special service districts, local districts, and interlocals. It also offers access to data sets that are publicly available and reusable.


Property Records

Utah has the same three types of property records as other states in the U.S.: land records, deed records, and property tax records. However, as a newer state, Utah’s history of land grants is not as extensive as the history you find in other states. These three types of records may contain references to one another, but are generally broken down into categories. Land records show the conveyance from a public entity, such as the federal or state government, to a private landowner. Deed records show conveyances from one private landowner to another private landowner as well as anything impacting title, such as mortgages or liens. Property tax records usually contain a description of the property and ownership information, as well as information about whether the taxes on the property are current.

Land Records

The Utah Division of Archives and Records Service is your go-to location for information on land records in Utah. Even if you are familiar with how to search land records in other states, you may need to look for additional information in Utah. That is because the nineteenth century federal government policy of transferring public lands to private ownership as quickly as possible to encourage western expansion established a federal way of transferring land to private owners, which was in place before Utah was settled. However, after Utah was settled, the territorial government led by Brigham Young established a different system of land distribution. The federal and territorial systems were used at different times in Utah’s history. Therefore, you need to search both types of records to find all land records.

Property Tax Records

Although the Utah State Tax Commission contains information about property taxes in Utah, most real property taxes are locally assessed. This means that local county tax assessors are responsible for assessing property taxes and for maintaining property tax records. To find that information, you need to look at the assessor’s office in the county in which the land is located.

Deed Records

In Utah, the county recorder in each county is responsible for recording and maintaining records of conveyances of land between private individuals (deeds); encumbrances on the land such as easements, liens, or mortgages; and any other instrument that can impact title to real property. To find a deed record, you need to contact the recorder of the county in which the land is located.

More On Property Records in Other States

Read more about Utah Public Records, UT background check laws, or learn about another state from the list below:

New Mexico property records search
Arizona property tax records lookup
Colorado county clerk and appraiser records