Montana Property Records

Disclaimer: The below is solely intended for informational purposes and in no way constitutes legal advice or specific recommendations.

Despite its vast size, the 2010 Census has determined that Montana’s population totals only 989,415 individuals, making it one of the smallest populations in the nation with a rank of 44th. The population of Montana has been divided into people who live in ‘households’ (defined as groups of people, such as families, who live on one private property) and those who live in group quarters (which includes the state’s institutionalized population). According to the Census, the vast majority—97.1% of the population (or 960,566 people)— live in households, while the remaining 2.9% (or 28,849 people) live in group quarters. There is a total of 482,825 housing units in Montana. Of these units, 84.8% (or 409,607 units) are occupied while 15.2% (or 73,218 units) are considered to be vacant. The average household size is therefore calculated to be 2.35 people. Of the occupied housing units, 278,418 are owner-occupied and 131,189 are renter-occupied. In sum, 97.1% of Montana’s population lives in 84.8% of all housing units. Montana property records can be accessed via the state’s Montana.gov website.

Property Owner Search

Enter an address to begin your search:

Our property owner lookup tool searches through billions of property records and dozens of databases

Montana Tax Collector & Appraiser Records by County

Property Records in MT

You can find a number of different types of public records for the state of Montana, including vital statistics, property records, and criminal records. However, the state does not maintain a single repository of public records.


Property Records

There are three different types of property records in Montana, just like you will find in almost every state in the United States: land records, deed records, and tax records. Each of these different records details a different aspect of land ownership. Land records refer to records that detail the transfer of land from a governmental entity to the first private property owner. Another type of record detailing land ownership is the deed record. Deed records refer to conveyances or encumbrances on land that is owned by private property owners and includes deeds, mortgages, and liens. Tax property records refer specifically to land records that detail the taxes due on land, a description of the property, and ownership records.

Land Records

Montana was a territory for a substantial period of time before it became a state. So, land grant records in the United States not only reflect grants from Montana to different individual property owners, but also from the United States Bureau of Land Management. You can find many Montana land grant records at the General Land Office Records website.

Property Tax Records

In Montana, you can find property information including property tax records at the Montana Official State website.

Deed Records

The Montana Property Assessment Division handles information like deed records, but they are also handled at the local county registrar offices.

More On Property Records in Other States

Read more about Montana Public Records, MT background check laws, or learn about another state from the list below:

Idaho property records search
North Dakota property tax records lookup
South Dakota county clerk and appraiser records