Connecticut Property Records

Disclaimer: The below is solely intended for informational purposes and in no way constitutes legal advice or specific recommendations.

The State of Connecticut has a population of 3,574,097 individuals, divided into two groups per the United States Census: those who live in ‘households’ and those who live in ‘group quarters’. Households make up 96.7% of living arrangements in Connecticut, which includes families with or without children, unmarried couples residing together, and roommates. The number of people in households amounts to 3,455,945 people. Only 118,152 people, or 3.3% of the population, live in group quarters, which are defined as penitentiaries, juvenile detention facilities and long-term care or nursing home facilities. In Connecticut, there is a total of 1,487,891 housing units, of which 92.1% (or 1,371,087) are considered to be occupied. The remaining 7.9% (116,804) are vacant. Of the units that are in use, 925,286 (67.5%) are owner-occupied, and the remaining 445,801 (or 32.5%) are renter-occupied. The average household size of owner-occupied units is therefore 2.64 people, and the average household size for renter-occupied units is 2.27 people. Public records in Connecticut pertaining to property, business and court proceedings are openly available and searchable online.

Property Owner Search

Enter an address to begin your search:

Our property owner lookup tool searches through billions of property records and dozens of databases

Connecticut Tax Collector & Appraiser Records by County

Property Records in CT

Connecticut does not maintain a single repository of public information online. However, there are a variety of places where you can find Connecticut public records online. This information includes property records, vital statistics, court records, and some types of criminal records.

Property Records

Connecticut has several different types of property records. While all property records describe property and name property owners, there are actually different types of property records that serve different purposes. Some property records refer to the value of property, the taxes owed on it, its physical description, and who owns the property; these records are property tax records. Some property records describe the original conveyance of land to a private owner from a governmental entity; these records are land records. Some property records describe conveyances between private property owners and any encumbrances like mortgages or liens; these are deed records.

Land Records

While some states that became states later have well-established land grant records, Connecticut, as one of the states that was settled by European settlers earliest in U.S. history, actually had private land ownership before the state actually became a state, and while it was still under European control. There is not a central state registry that shows all of these land grants. Instead, you may need to look at local town registries to trace original ownership of land.

Property Tax Records

The state of Connecticut maintains a property tax database that gives information about property taxes throughout the state. However, while this database provides tax information for the state, it does not provide tax rolls, property descriptions, or ownership information for the property. You can go to city and county level tax assessor websites to find information about property taxes in the state.

Deed Records

Like other property records, deed records are maintained locally in Connecticut. They may be held in town or county level offices.

More On Property Records in Other States

Read more about Connecticut Public Records, CT background check laws, or learn about another state from the list below:

Rhode Island property records search
Massachusetts property tax records lookup
New York county clerk and appraiser records